The Data Protection Act helps to protect individuals personal privacy by regulating the way personal data is processed and gives you, as an individual, certain rights in relation to the personal data which is held about you.
The Act is based on 8 legally enforceable principles which anyone who records and uses personal data must follow.
The Data Protection Act also requires anyone (whether a private company or public body) who processes personal data to register or notify with the Information Commissioner. This registration is publicly available and can viewed at the Information Commissioners website.
Torbay Council is a large organisation providing a range of services to the community. To administer the services efficiently it is necessary to process personal data. Some of this information is held in manual files and some is held on computer and is used by authorised staff to provide and administer services.
Torbay Council has produced a Data Protection Code of Practice to ensure it complies with the Data Protection Act.
As a data controller Torbay Council has notified the Information Commissioner that it is processing personal data and has 2 entries on the register:
- Torbay Council - Z5125989
- Electoral Registration Officer Torbay Council - Z5668530
Notifications can be viewed on the Information Commissioner's website by viewing the Register of Data Controllers page. To view Torbay Council's notification entries enter the relevant registration number on the search page.
To view Members' notifications, please enter the individual member's name on the search page.
- What is personal data?
- What is a Data Controller?
- What does 'processing' of personal data mean?
- What are my rights under the Data Protection Act 1998?
- What are the Principles of the Data Protection Act 1998?
- More information about notification.
- Who is the Information Commissioner and what is his role?
- What do I do if I have a complaint?
- What terms are used in the legislation?
- How do I make a request under the Data Protection Act?
For further information and guidance on the Data Protection Act 1998 contact the Information Governance Team or the Information Commissioner.
- Information Commissioner's Office
- Local Government Ombudsman
- Ministry of Justice
- Office of Surveillance Commissioners
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 01803 207467