Authority (formerly LEA) Governors are appointed by Torbay Council. There is at least one Authority governor on all the governing bodies of all Torbay schools (academies may choose to have a place for up to one authority governor but it is not compulsory). The appointment (and reappointment) process for an Authority governor includes input from the relevant governing body. Torbay Councillors may only serve in this category.
No one who is eligible to be a staff governor can be appointed as an Authority governor.
In making decisions on the appointment of Authority Governors the following criteria need to be met:
- Has a commitment to, and an interest in, education;
- Has a desire to support the school concerned;
- Has a willingness to serve the local community;
- Has skills and experience which will support the work of the school;
- Has the ability to work as a member of a team;
- Is able to arrange their commitments to fit in with membership of a Governing Body;
- Will respect the Council's views on education matters at Governing Body meetings.
- Will attend relevant training
Please contact Governing Body Support if you are interested in applying for any Authority governor vacancy or if you would like to discuss school governorship in general.
In the case of governing bodies constituted on or after 1 September 2012, the LA will nominate a candidate for appointment according to criteria set by the governing body. In these circumstances the power to make the appointment rests with the governing body.
All documents open in a new window. Need more help with documents? View the Document Help page.
- Apply - LEA Governor Application
- Feedback - Comment on this page
- Report - Complaint
- Feedback - General
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 01803 208233