Household Waste Recycling Centre & Transfer Station
Tor Park Road
Tor Park Road
Commercial and Trade Waste is not permitted to enter the public HWRC but will be redirected to the Waste Transfer Station on the same site, where Commercial and Trade waste can be processed.
Torbay Council only has a legal obligation to provide recycling centre facilities for household waste, which is waste arising from the day to day running of a household and not part of the house itself. Items from the repair or improvement of houses, for example DIY-type waste, are classified as construction waste and there is no requirement for the council to provide any service for the disposal of this material or accept it free of charge.
Waste created from landscaping or garden alterations such as dismantling a rockery or digging up a patio/concrete hard standing, is also not classified as household waste.
However, it is recognised that facilities are still needed for residents to dispose of small quantities of DIY waste.
Torbay Council therefore permits small amounts of this type of waste to be disposed of free of charge as long as it is sorted into separate material streams i.e. wood, metals, rubble/hardcore/bricks/slabs/tiles, etc and plasterboard.
Small amounts are the equivalent of 12, (90cm x 60m or 3ft x 2ft) bags, twice in any one year, that can be lifted safely by one person. If a household is generating any larger quantities than this then they must hire a skip or arrange for alternative private disposal via a suitable licensed company.
TOR2 can offer this service at Tor Park Rd, Paignton, TQ4 7PL. You can bring your waste onto the weighbridge at Torbay Transfer Station during opening hours Monday to Thursday 8am - 4pm (last entry 3.45pm) Friday 8am - 3.30 (last entry 3.15pm). There is a minimum charge for weights up to 260 kilos, with all greater weights charged at the current commercial tonnage rate (plus VAT).
|Monday||07:30 - 20:00||Cars Only|
|Tuesday||07:30 - 16:30||Cars Only|
|Wednesday||07:30 - 20:00||Cars Only|
|Thursday||07:30 - 19:00||Cars and Vans (With Domestic Waste Only)|
|Friday||07:30 - 16:30||Cars Only|
|Saturday||07:30 - 16:30||Cars Only|
|Sunday||07:30 - 16:30||Cars Only|
The recycling centre is closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day but will remain open on Bank Holidays.
All the following recycling items are accepted free of charge:
- Paper, junk mail, newspapers and magazines
- Ferrous and non-ferrous metals
- Large Domestic appliances, including cookers, microwaves, washing machines etc
- Small Domestic appliances, including toasters, hairdryers, music players, etc
- Fridges and Freezers
- TV’s, PC’s including monitors
- Glass bottles and jars
- Plate glass
- Steel and aluminium cans and foil
- Clothing, textiles and shoes
- Car batteries
- Waste engine oil, cooking oil and other lubricants
- Green Waste
- Wood, wood derivatives and timber
- Liquid cartons known as Tetrapak
- Tyres (but the number of tyres shall be restricted to five (5) only per Contract Year per Customer)
- Gas bottles
- Household batteries
- Fluorescent tubes
- Light bulbs
- Household chemicals and other Household Hazardous Waste
Black bag residual waste
Residual waste of a similar composition to household waste is allowed, but is limited to 2 (two) refuse sacks only per visit by a resident.
Tyres (not commercial vehicles)
Only 5 tyres in any 12 month period are allowable per Torbay resident and these must be separated from the rims. Rims are acceptable only without the tyres.
Chemicals i.e. pesticides, white spirits & other household chemicals
These can be accepted provided that they are securely contained and clearly labelled, but there is a limit of 5 litres and these materials must be brought to the attention of the site staff on arrival.
Due to the risks of handling asbestos in its various forms it is strongly recommended that professional advice is sought and a licensed dismantler/disposer is used to deal with these potentially harmful wastes. Residents can bring at their own risk a maximum of 4 normal size strong plastic bags, double wrapped and securely sealed. This material must be brought to the attention of the site staff on arrival.
No commercial asbestos will be accepted under any circumstances, as it must be disposed at a licensed hazardous waste site.
Fly tipping of this or any type of waste can result in up to a five year prison sentence or up to a £50,000 fine, so please be responsible with your waste.
Non Acceptable items
- Sharps/clinical items need to be arranged for home collection
- Animals/animal bedding
- Fireworks, flares, explosives and ammunition – please contact the local police for advice.
Waste from the following groups/premises/activities will not be allowed free of charge at the Recycling Centre, but will be accepted over the commercial weighbridge and charged at the current rates.
- Landlords disposing of waste from rental properties
- Educational or Medical Establishments
- Charity shops; charitable organisations and premises (except where otherwise agreed in writing with Torbay Council)
- Any club, society or other association of persons (including allotment organisations).
- Religious establishments
- Prisons or Probation service
- Agricultural holdings, including small holdings and paddocks (excluding waste from the farmhouse itself)
- Waste from shops, businesses, traders including business waste associated with people working from home.
- Removal firms
- "Man and Van or house clearance operators
- Waste from rented Holiday Homes/Holiday Lets/campsites/caravan parks.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 01803 402994